InsiteTV, now OnStyle, has recently released a new mini beauty drama – beautiology101! Previously, I mentioned how Sweet 20s was a short, cute, and sweet beauty drama, sponsored by Innisfree of course haha. Similarly, beautiology101 features all Innisfree products only, but hey what’s not to like about yet another “Kdrama” to watch!? (I use Kdrama loosely here; it’s not really a full one, yknow?)
Each episode starts with a cutesy intro, featuring Taylor Swift’s We Are Never Getting Back Together! The drama revolves around the life of Lee Bongju, a freshman at K-Beauty School: May The Beauty Be With You! Bongju comes from a poor family, and is struggling her way through her first year as a K-Beauty major – and of course magically, she has two guys who’re always there for her. Ah, the classic Korean love triangle – the quintessential Kdrama.
Watch the series here:
Lee Bongju: played by Han Ji Eun
Won Namgung: played by Kim Jae Young
Jung Haein: played by Lee Cheol Woo
Oh Duyi: played by JunQ
Yoo Jungyeon: played by Cho Hye Won
Geurina Hwang: played by Choi Ji Heon
Nan Goh: played by Jinhyuk
And of course all the makeup and skincare products are sponsored by Innisfree…
Which team are you on – Team Namgung or Team Haein? I was really rooting for Team Haein!!!
My few comments watching this:
- Prepare your skin before applying makeup. This was probably the most actually useful tip reinforced in my head – in the mornings, I’m often in a mad rush and I have 20 minutes to wash up, change, and do my makeup. I can only work that fast, and more often than not, I forget to apply skincare before makeup. If a hydrating primer does the trick, why bother applying a gel? Probably not the right mindset in my head! Bongju is adamant that makeup should not be applied on damaged skin, and she’s right. Since I have dry skin in this humid weather, skin flakes are a big no-no – getting the pre-makeup skincare step right is the only, and obvious solution to this 🙂
- Girls who don’t wear makeup are invisible. Okay, probably not explicitly so, but really!! Everyone makes fun of Bongju when she doesn’t wear makeup, but once she puts on a little lip tint, draws on some brows, she’s suddenly /human/ again?!
- …But even if they don’t wear makeup, their skin is perfect… Because they use Jeju lava seawater on their faces. Everyone’s skin looks so good?! Haha, I guess Innisfree is just trying to promote their new Jeju Lava Seawater skincare line – I’ll admit though, after watching this series I am fairly tempted to try their seawater essence! I’ve never been particularly drawn in by Innisfree’s skincare products, but I don’t quite mind trying it out, considering how good everyone looks.
- There is a line between makeup, and too much makeup. What I did like was that they featured Geurina, Bongju’s classmate who’s been told all her life that she wasn’t beautiful – and in turn she wore lots of heavy makeup to cover up her ~natural beauty~. Spoiler: she eventually discovers her inner beauty, and wears less makeup!! And is of course prettier!!
- If you’re ever given an opportunity to do makeup on a Beauty Chaebol Chairwoman, apply skincare instead. I get that she wanted to be novel and be true to herself, but Bongju, you knew full well that she was going to attend a fashion show after you applied makeup on her! Rubbing Jeju lava seawater on her face isn’t going to magically make her face ready for a public media appearance!
- Don’t forget the love triangle. Of course there are two guys vying for her attention, and of course she’s going to leave but NO SHE ISN’T!! Poor Haein, having his heart broken right there while assy Namgung gets Bongju’s attention. Of course he doesn’t have to wait for her either because she loves Namgung so much she’s going to drop her job opportunity working for the largest Beauty Chaebol in the world’s CEO and run off the plane to come back to do the final project with him.
- Every poor girl will meet a chaebol’s grandson in some strange, completely unlikely manner, and he will fall in love with her. Hahahaha, it’s a Kdrama, I’ll accept it, but I find it pretty hilarious how of course she has to end up with him!
Plot holes aside, I thought it was a really cute drama 🙂 GO TEAM HAEIN!!